Make sure you're up-to-date with recent changes in immigration requirements for Canada.

Entering Canada

When visiting the Yukon, you can enter Canada by land or air. If driving to Yukon from Alaska, you may cross the US Canada border at one of the five following  checkpoints: Fraser Customs, Little Gold Creek Customs, Dawson City Customs, Beaver Creek Customs and Pleasant Camp Customs. If you are a United States citizen, please refer to the United States Embassy for specific information.

Entering Canada for citizens of other countries than the United States

If you’re visiting Canada from a country other than the United States, you will need proof of citizenship and residency. Proper identification includes birth certificates, passports, citizenship cards and certificates of Indian Status. To avoid problems and delays in clearing customs, make sure you have proper identification for yourself and any children travelling with you. More information is available at Citizenship and Immigration Canada.

Children entering Canada

Minors travelling alone must have proof of citizenship and a letter from both parents detailing the length of stay, providing the parents’ telephone number and authorizing the person waiting for them to take care of them while they are in Canada.

If you are travelling with minors, you must carry proper identification for each child such as a birth certificate, passport, citizenship card, permanent resident card or Certificate of Indian Status.

If you are divorced or separated, you should carry with you copies of the legal custody agreements for your children. If you are travelling with minors and you are not their parent/guardian, you should have written permission from the parent/guardian authorizing the trip. The letter should include addresses and telephone numbers of where the parents or guardian can be reached and identify a person who can confirm that the children are not being abducted or taken against their will.

If you are travelling with a group of vehicles, make sure you arrive at the border in the same vehicle as your children, to avoid any confusion.

More information is available at Canada Border Services Agency.


If you are bringing a pet dog or cat into Canada, a valid rabies vaccination certificate signed by a licensed veterinarian is required. For more information on pets other than cats or dogs please review the regulations as presented by the Canadian Food Inspection Agency.

For more information on entering Canada visit the Canada Border Agency.

Entering the United States from Canada 

If you are entering or re-entering the United States by air or sea you will need a passport.

As of June 1, 2009 a passport is required to enter the United States by land.

Citizens of most countries outside North America are required to pay a visa waiver fee of $6.00 U.S. per person in cash when entering the United States for the first time from Canada. For more details on entering or re-entering the United States, call 1-800-461-9999 or (867) 667-3943 or visit the website of Canada Border Services Agency.

Children Leaving Canada and entering the United States

If a child is travelling with just one parent, you will require proof-of-custody papers or a letter of permission from the absent parent. Unaccompanied persons should also bring a letter of permission. If you are under 18 and not with your parents, you should bring a letter of permission.

Visit our Tumblr page for more incredible Yukon images and video Get Inspired